Re: Subject: Re: Pursuit of Excellence [was GAO Opens DB investigation]

Pursuit of excellence can easily become an ultimately unattainable

pursuit of perfection.  It can also devolve into an empty

shell--dressing for excellence, so to speak. Both result in a loss of a

sense of perspective regarding prioirities.  When everything becomes the

highest priority, nothing is the highest priority, and limited resources

are bound to be misallocated.  We need to pursue excellence in

establishing priorities.  And if that isn't enough, we may as well fold

up the tent, because we're not going to be able to do better.

Tom Potter

Bill Lipton posted: