Radon Tests on Animals-Smoking Beagles

I committed to someone that I would look up an article I refered to as the

"smoking beagles".  Forgive me for forgetting who I was talking with.  (I

try too hard to keep my hotmail cleared out.)  I found the article by

searching the HP Journals on the following web site, which is a great

resource.

http://www.health-physics.com/

An abstract of the article is shown below.

Health Physics, Volume 42, Issue 1

Carcinogenic Effects of Radon Daughters, Uranium Ore Dust and Cigarette

Smoke in Beagle Dogs

F. T. Cross, R. F. Palmer, R. E. Filipy, G. E. Dagle, B. O. Stuart

Abstract-The development of pulmonary lesions in beagle dogs was studied

following chronic inhalation exposures to radon (at 105 ± 20 nCi/l), radon

daughters (at 605 ± 169 WL), uranium ore dust (at 12.9 ± 6.7 mg/m3) and

cigarette smoke. Chronic exposures to mixtures of these agents caused

significant lifespan shortening when compared with controls. Survival times

of controls and smoke-exposed dogs were equivalent during the 4 to 5-yr mean

survival time of the dogs exposed to radon-daughter and ore-dust mixtures

(with or without added cigarette smoke). Animals with tumors of the

respiratory tract generally had cumulative radon-daughter exposures

exceeding 13,000 WLM, and their survival time was longer than the survival

time of nontumor-bearing animals. Under the conditions of the experiment,

exposure to cigarette smoke was found to have a mitigating effect on radon

daughter-induced tumors. It is uncertain whether this would be a general

finding applicable to other levels of exposure to radon daughters, uranium

ore dust and cigarette smoke. Exposures to smoke from 10 cigarettes/d, 7

d/wk produced no significant respiratory tract lesions. However, exposure to

20 cigarettes/d, 7 d/wk resulted in pulmonary emphysema, fibrosis and

chronic bronchitis and bronchiolitis. Emphysema and fibrosis were much more

prevalent and severe in the dogs exposed to mixtures which included radon

daughters and uranium are dust. These dogs also had adenomatous lesions

which progressed to squamous metaplasia of aleveolar epithelium, epidermoid

carcinoma and bronchioloalveolar carcinoma. Pathologic changes in the

airways of these dogs were most prominent in the nasal mucosa, and included

a few squamous carcinomas in the nasal cavity. We conclude that the beagle

dog is a useful animal for modeling pulmonary lesions produced by uranium

mine air contaminants. Tumors were produced at levels that did not greatly

exceed some exposures reported for uranium miners. These tumors, found after

approx. 50 mo of exposure, might partially account for the absence of tumors

in experiments where exposures terminated before 50 mo.