Pursuit of Excellence

William Prestwich wrote:

>For example if you study the average quarterly exposures and you find they are decreasing during the year after a taring session given at the beginning, you might feel you are doing something right. Similarly, if Mr.A is always getting the maximum dose you might conclude Mr.A needs a talking to.<

Or I might conclude that Mr. A is the best trained (or most skilled, not the same thing) and gets used on every job.  Could be my training was worthless (or even counterproductive) and the work fell on the individual with the most inate skills.  Dose numbers tell one very little about training effectiveness.

I think my point is that our traditional canned performance indicators can be manipulated, either consciously or un-, to reflect what we want.  Often, dose numbers tell us nothing more than dose, rad waste nothing more than rad waste.  The actual state of the program is difficult to measure and depends on what you are trying to achieve.  I would trade a few millirem,  clothing contaminations, and canned pre-job briefings for some good attitudes and cooperative employees any day.

Lew LaGarde

Lew LaGarde