From: Jacobus, John (OD/ORS) [mailto:jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov]
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 4:46 PM
To: 'RadSafe'
Subject: RE: Ed Calabrese and Linda Baldwin again

Ben,
Thanks for your comments.  The TLVs I would associate with the ALIs, so I don't think there is a philosophical difference.  I generally throw my comments out not to convert anyone, but to start people thinking about what we are, or should, be thinking about.  There is no question that a hormetic effect can be demonstrated, but what part should it play in our safety programs?

Also consider like cancer, the induction or initiation of a hormetic response may not lead to a benefit to the organism.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
3050 Traymore Lane