Re: "Overmatching" Controls?! (Radon Medicine Efficacy)

Howard,

Please read the study Mr. Muckerheide posted concerning

the problems with over matching in a case-control study.

Howard, it is really not my position to accept the

ethics, that would be up to the Human Subjects Internal

Review Board at the facility where such a study would be

performed.  I would not have to sign on for the study to

take place.  It may be helpful to identify the rate

limiting steps that prevent the funding of such a

study.

My criticism of your proposal is more a matter of

reality.  It would be impossible to perform a placebo

controlled study of radon in the general population.

The multivariate analyses performed in case-control

studies has tremendous power to adjust for smoking and

other potential confounders since data is collected at

the level of an individual.

Bill