Re: Radioactive vinegar bottle ?!?!

Doesn't sound like it, he describes the bottle as white.  And from personal experience, you can barely detect the uranium in vaseline glass, the best test is an ultraviolet light.  All of the glass collecting experts say that a geiger counter is a very poor way of detecting vaseline glass.  My understanding is that most of the uranium oxides are red, yellow, orange, black, and brown.  I think the guess about glazing might be right, but it might be thorium, which has some pretty energetic (beta) daughters.  I have seen thorium on structural tiles.  I would think the reading from the ion chamber indicates beta emission from a high concentration of material near the surface (like glazing).  Try shielding it with about 1/2 an inch of plastic or paper, that should reduce it significantly if it is beta.

Dave Derenzo
UIC Radiation Safety Officer