From: Bob Westerdale [mailto:Bob.Westerdale@ametek.com]

Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 10:48 AM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Radioactive vinegar bottle ?!?!

Greetings Radsafers,

        While clearing up some old broken glass I uncovered an unusual

white-glass souvenir bottle from the 1939 World's Fair,  which I have come

to find out was originally filled with vinegar and sold by the A&P  company

( foodstore).

Just by chance I happened to wave a survey meter at this bottle, and to my

surprise it was slightly  radioactive- approximately .2 mR/hr with a

Victoreen Ion Chamber.    I'd assume this manufactured this way

intentionally  ( maybe?)-- any idea why?    Glazing?  ( ala  Fiesta ware?)

I tried to take a spectrum ( EDS from about 3 keV to about 20 keV) but

couldn't see anything.  Maybe a beta emmitter?

A couple sheets of paper don't seem to stop it, so I suspect no alphas are

present.

I found one  pictured on EBay ( of course) for anyone who might be curious.

( no, it's not mine!)

Thanks,

        Bob Westerdale

        RSO,  EDAX Inc.