AW: RE: hot new jeans

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Stewart Farber

Gesendet: Montag, 16. September 2002 22:54

An: Neil, David M

Betreff: Re: RE: hot new jeans

Unless I'm remembering wrong, ERDA came along sometime around 1975 long

after Lehrer issued his last

album, "This was the year that was" {1965].

Lehrer in one song on his last 1965 album does make a facetious  reference

to Mahler's dark symphonic

tone poem "Das Liede von der Erde" [The song of the earth] being a "light

classic" in the intro to his

song "Wilma", about Wilma Mahler Gropius Werfel, a siren of the day who

managed to marry some of the top

creative geniuses of 19th century Europe including Gustaf Mahler, Walter

Gropius [founder of the Bauhaus

school of design], and author Franz Werfel.

Sorry, Stewart, you are wrong. The woman you refer to was Alma

Mahler-Werfel. Moreover she was born in 1879 and died in 1964, so she spent

most of her life during the 20th century. She married Gustav Mahler in 1902,

who was the first of her three husbands, but the number of her prominent

lovers exceeded this number by far.

"Das Lied von der Erde" is based on Chinese poems and is far from a "light

classic"! I do not recommend that one should listen to it, when one is even

only slightly depressed.....

I see, the discussion started with mobil-phone-radiation-proof jeans.....

Franz