Re: TFP update article, E Magazine; replies to all

More answers below ---

Dear Bernard,
My understanding of the TFP is that Strontium-90 is used like a tracer. Sr90, as you know, has a half-life of about 29 years, and so the amount in baby teeth should be going down, not evening off and going up. If the baby got sr90 from the local nuke, the baby alaso ingested all the other radionuclides emitted by the local nuke.

BERNARD L COHEN wrote:

> > So far, teeth from children born in Miami-Dade County and other
> > southeastern Florida counties have the highest concentrations of
> > strontium-90 in the United States, which might be explained by the
> > fact that two nuclear reactors there emitted 10.39 trillion picocuries
> > of radioactivity into the air between 1970 and 1987, an amount equal
> > to about three-fourths of all the radioactivity released during the
> > infamous Three Mile Island accident.
        --Strontium-90 has nothing to do with either of these situations, Florida or TMI.
-----------------------
Dear George-
The idea is that continual doses of low level radiation and radionuclides act in a synergistic fashion with toxins like those emitted by Dupont. I've never claimed that PSEG's nukes alone were THE cause of higher cancer rates, just A cause.

Norm

Good afternoon!  I have never heard of the cancer rates being the

highest around the Salem County area.  If so, I don't feel you can blame

Artificial Island (sorry but I'm from the old school) when you have

DuPont sitting on both sides of the River.

George Brozowski

US EPA - Region 6

Dallas, TX