Re: TFP update article, E Magazine; replies to all

Thanks, Norm,

At 07:57 PM 09/16/2002 -0400, Norman Cohen wrote:

>To: Michael DuPray-  Yes I agree that industry in the area produces

>toxins. As far as emissions, according to PSEG and the NRC (and I'm

>writing this from memory), the 3 nukes emitted over 70 curies of assorted

>radiation and radionuclides in 2001.

>Thats with a 50% error rated and assorted approximations built into the

>reporting system.

>To: Richard Hess - see the above answers. I can't go any further without a

>more detailed followup investigation. My hunch is that water plays a big

>part in how people ingest radionuclides from the 3 nukes.

I see the above. I don't think I've ever been surrounded by more Ph.D's.

than on this list so I won't even bother researching these calcs--if I

could understand them. However, is 70 curies a large amount of radiation to

be released and spread across a wide area? How does that compare with

background if spread over one square mile? (We know it's diffused over more

area than that).

Also, over what period of time was that 70 curies emitted? I'm sure that

matters, too? Was it one curie per day for 70 days or 70 curies in one day?

Or 70milli-curies over 1000 days?

Also, does the water SHOW any radioactivity?

Is the background radiation any where near that of Denver? Is the cancer

rate higher/lower than Denver?

I have been taken in for many years by these arguments because I believed

the sincere people researching this stuff for "us." I know you're sincere,

but I'm starting to think that we have to re-think what we're doing to

society as a whole based on science that may not be sound.

I want to do the RIGHT thing, and right now I don't know what RIGHT is.

Thanks!

Richard