RE: "Perception is reality"

Dear Randy,

I would like to make some comments about your example:

a)	It is a good example to use in a training course, not only because the

theme on risk perception but also non compliance requirement for the safe

transport of radioactive material;

b)	Necessity of training  First Responders

About the first topic, no transport of radioactive material, especially in

large quantity, can be made without a person traveling in company with the

driver, to help him in case of any necessity.  So my question is: Was the

driver alone in the truck? If so it was an error, if not the assistant could

provide information to First Responders.

About the second topic, the principles for the protection of the public and

workers in the event of any nuclear or radiological accident and this

consider your case,  include the necessity of training to first responders,

and should taken into account special training to those who must act to save

life, to prevent serious injuries or to prevent a substantial increase in

the scale of the accident. For such situations it is neither possible nor

appropriate to specify maximum levels of dose. It is only recommended that

substantial efforts should be made to keep doses to these workers to levels

lower than those at which serious deterministic health effects may occur. In

the case particular of transport if the driver and assistant are unconscious

or couldn’t help giving any information, first responders could use the

instructions letter containing basic procedures in case of an accident. Seem

to me your example is an alert to Regulatory and State Authorities to lack

of adequate training to First Responders.

In Brazil after the Goiania Accident it was implemented a large programe to

train Fire Brigade, Civil Defense, and specially the States Department of

Health in the Basic Principle of Radiation Protection and emphasizing that

Save Life is the highest priority during a Radiological Accident.

I am surprise with such attitude of the First Responders, and I think it was

an case in isolation.

Jose Julio Rozental

jrozental@hotmail.com

Madrid, until 02-10-2002