RE: "Perception is reality"

People believe that what they perceive is true.  So perception has a tangible effect on reality.

But this doesn't mean WE have to acknowledge that perceptions based on nonsense are true when in fact they aren't.  Our obligation as scientists is to objectively uncover the truth; if the truth conflicts with peoples' perceptions, we should correct them in the most effective way we can. "Most effective" can be sensitive, blunt (not rude), or something in between, depending on the situation.  What they do with the information after that is not in our control.  (Science doesn't always win - "radiation-proof" jeans, anyone?)

But when the need finally becomes urgent (or is perceived as urgent), people will look to experts for answers.  This means we need to be accessible and represent our views with competence and credibility when it's our turn to speak.

Vincent King

Grand Junction, CO