RE: Congression competence.

This is Don Jordan's 1994 post from

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/9408/msg00060.html

To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu <mailto:radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>

Subject: Natural background.

From: don@radpro.uchicago.edu <mailto:don@radpro.uchicago.edu>

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 94 10:12:59 CDT

The following exchange between Congressmen Nick Joe Rahall II (D (?) from

West Virginia) and Wayne Allard (R (?) from Colorado) took place at the

hearings on the NRC's BRC policy on September 12, 1991.

Mr. Allard.  We're talking about very low levels of radiation.

Do you have a natural radiation background in your state?

Mr. Rahall.  I'm sorry?

Mr. Allard  There's a certain amount of radiation in background, depending

on where you live.  In some states it's higher than others.

    And I'm wondering if you happen to know what the radiation background

is in West Virginia?

Mr. Rahall.  No, I don't, nor am I sure that we have such.

Mr. Allard  The point I was going to provide is, does it seem practical

to regulate articles exposed to radiation, that would be lower than the

natural background in the state, in which case you would be requiring

regulations that are even tighter than what would be a natural phenomenon

for that state.

    I just wanted to know if you were prepared to comment on that.  If

not, that's OK.  We can pick it up on future questions.

Mr. Rahall.  Well, as I said, I'm not sure that we have such radiation

levels in my State of West Virginia.  [Mr. Rahall's statement continues.]

"The Radiation Protection Act of 1991 Below Regulatory Concern: Hearing

before the Subcomm. on Energy and the Environment of the House Comm. on

Interior and Insular Affairs", 102 Cong. 1st Sess. 23-28 (1991) (Statement

of Nick J. Rahall II Rep. of West Virginia)

If your congressman or congresswoman has eliminated the natural background

in your state, please let us know.  No other act could reduce exposures so

much at so little cost.

Don Jordan                          Tel. (312) 702-6299

Office of Radiation Safety          Fax        702-4008

The University of Chicago           email: don@radpro.uchicago.edu

           -- Opinions expressed are soley the author's --

Rick Strickert

Austin, TX