RE: "Perception is reality" (was DOE Sec addresses "Dirty Bombs")

-----Original Message-----
From: Conklin, Al [mailto:Al.Conklin@DOH.WA.GOV]
Sent: Wednesday September 18, 2002 2:54 PM
To: 'Jim Hardeman'; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: RE: "Perception is reality" (was DOE Sec addresses "Dirty Bombs")

 <snip> If a terrorist group sets of an RDD, the "perception" of too many of the public and elected officials will be such that, as Jim stated, we who will have to respond will deal with a "reality" of having to track almost every atom down and work to convince people they aren't going to die from the radiation exposure. Their perception of risk results in the reality of them being afraid, even though the reality of actual health effects is not there.  <snip>

I think its going to get get a lot worse than that :

Everyone will be scrambling to get a bigger piece of the federal disaster relief fund pie.
As usual, people will claim contamination even where there isn't any (above background levels) - and even AFTER surveyors have been there & checked ("we can't trust those government people...."). Some of them will know very well what the reality is, but will claim publicly that they have a different perception of reality, because they stand to make a buck (if not from a real injury, then at least from psychological harm, bla, bla, bla...).
Antinuke groups will bring their own "experts" with more "effective" radiation detectors.
Every farmer within a hundred miles will claim to have an animal with deformities, etc., etc.
Armies of lawyers will make a killing.
The media will be busy for months doing investigative journalism TV features.
Conspiracy nuts will proliferate everywhere.....

One positive aspect in this nightmare : those of us who know better than "perception is reality" may find opportunities in low real-estate prices....

Jaro