RE: "Perception is reality" (was DOE Sec addresses "Dirty Bombs")

Dear colleagues,

No doubt Jim Hardeman´s statement is correct. At least was correct in

Goiania, where the most serious radiological accident have occurred to date.

I managed in Goiania first as General Coordinator to respond the emergency,

from the early to the final recovery phases, total period of three months,

and then as second stage, as head of  the Brazilian Regulatory Authority´s

Office that was created in Goiania.  I was transfered to Goiania, for the

second stage, where I spent two years to implement the Communication System

to dialogue with Authorities, Media  and Population and also to Implement

the Protection Safety System to keep the RadWaste in the Interim Repository.

It was a hard  work   toward credibility and there are many anecdotes I

could tell to my Radsafer´s colleagues, that we do not learn in any

literature about Emergency Planning and Preparedness and risk perception

during an emergency response.

One, among many,  is about the Jim Hardeman´s statement on how to achieve

the goal:  He is correct.

I don’t believe that a dirty bomb will bring  worst radiological

consequences than  the Goiania Accident in any association social,

political,  economic, risk perception and  technical problems.

Jose Julio Rozental

jrozental@hotmail.com

Madrid, until 02-10-2002