Re: "Perception is reality"

Dear Fritz,

Your example was one that we are familiar, because we are familiar with  the

fact of our five senses. We can detect by touch, taste, sight, smell and

sound, however, we are taking about ionizing radiation matter that we cannot

see, hear, smell, feel, or sense.

While coordinating the Emergency Response in Goiania, I was invited to talk

in School for Blind Student about the Radiological Accident. Can you imagine

a picture of Radiological Accident Perception to blind people during an

Emergency, a real fact not just a common class?

In Goiania, talking with the coordination of the School I learnt the best

way to talk with blind people about ionizing radiation, this took me several

sessions and I learnt a lot, too. Blind people build up a plan of what it

feels like, they are unable to mentally create a picture, and they have

never experienced pictures.

Have you also a nice rest of the week,

Jose Julio Rozental

jrozental@hotmail.com

Madrid, 02-10-2002

>From: "Fritz A. Seiler" <faseiler@NMIA.COM>

>To: RuthWeiner@AOL.COM

>CC: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

>Subject: Re: "Perception is reality"

>Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:56:55 -0600

>I agree with you, Ruth,

>Actually, this "perception is reality" conundrum is one of the basic

>social science dogmata, and like most of them, it is contradicted by

>experiment:

>	In my Physics 101 course at the University of Basel in Switzerland, my

>teacher had about 200 students come down into the experimental area and

>look down a corridor behing the lecture room where you could see a

>flower pot standing on a little table.  Asked to fetch it,a student

>walks toward the pot and stops midway because it disappeared, although

>the table stayed.  "They do it with mirrors!" of course, and the pot is

>actually behind the student upside down on the wall!

>	Now what is reality and what is perception?  They are different as so

>often, and it just depends on the point from where you observe the

>phenomenon. And lo and behold, there IS a physical reality! If it is

>different from social perception, then too bad for social perception!

>Have a nice rest of the week,

>Fritz

>************************

>Fritz A. Seiler, Ph. D.

>President

>Sigma Five Consulting

>P.O. Box 1709

>Los Lunas, NM 87031, USA

>Tel.   505-866-5193

>Fax.  505-866-5197

>e-mail: faseiler@nmia.com

>RuthWeiner@AOL.COM wrote:

> > My disagreement with this concept is that it results in misapplication

> > of resources, which can have dangerous or even fatal consequences.

>radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject line.

>You can view the Radsafe archives at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

MSN Fotos: la forma más fácil de compartir e imprimir fotos.

http://photos.msn.es/support/worldwide.aspx