Re: Radon-Stirring the Pot

Ruth,

When I say "directly examine", I mean the lung cancer

risk estimates for redidential radon exposure were not

extrapolated from miners, but rather examined directly

by studying subjects who live in homes.

Obviously we have individual exposures for each

individual. However, we are not going to publish

findings that were not part of the Specific Aims of the

funded research.  The objective of the study was to

examine whether or not residential radon exposure

contributed to lung cancer risk for women who developed

lung cancer in Iowa.

The N. American Pooling of residential radon studies has

sufficient sample size to look at the risk for non

smokers.  The findings of this study have been reported

at both the American Statistical Association Meeting and

The International Indoor Air Meetings.  The final paper

has been submitted for publication.

If you want to talk further about this, please email me

directly at bill-field@uiowa.edu.

Bill Field