GM Scaler Help

I am the contract RSO for Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon. The college had been gifted with a couple of The Nucleus model 550 gm scalers years ago. The second one died a few days ago by a transformer meltdown creating a mess inside the case, and smoke and "goo" all over the benchtop. The electronics shop is not hopeful that a replacement transformer can be found (the first also died from power supply failure).

So, I am looking for anyone who has one of these units on a back shelf somewhere that they are no longer using that they are willing to donate.

The second question is who is making a similar unit today at a reasonable price for a gm scaler. The unit is used for routine health physics swipes of incoming packages and laboratory surveys. It is also used a couple of times a year for experiments involving the Ba-Cs-137 Generator eluants. Advanced features are not needed. What is needed is a reliable workhorse, the Chevy of counters--not the Cadillac.

If you want, send the replies to me, and I'll summarize them. This may be of interest to many small schools with limited programs.

Thanks,
Michael A. Kay, ScD, CHMM
makay@alum.mit.edu