Perception of Risk

I have not seen any discussion of benefits.  People are willling to take a

risk if there is a real or perceived benefit for them.  Ruth was willing to

take the risk of driving through the night at 70 mph because she would be

getting a benefit from going to the meeting in Charleston.  I think most of

us would agree that there is less risk in driving next to a truck carrying

a loaded spent fuel cask than driving next to a gasoline tanker.  The

public doesn't see it that way because they perceive no benefit from the

spent fuel shipment, whereas the gasoline tanker is going to the corner

station where they will fill their tank tomorrow.

So let's ban the spent fuel shipments and keep shipping the gasoline.

Bill Teer

OCRWM M&O Transportation