Fw: Nuclear experts doubt terror risk

Maury,

If this the gist of article(?) or letter that was published in Science, that

it's comments should be consider in the national debates on protective

action for nuclear power plants.  While it is certainly different from the

usually comments we see, it should be viewed by the media as a reasonable

analysis of the dangers.  It does not dismiss them, but tries to put them

into perspective.  It is clear and concise.

As a separate comment, I believe that I read in one rebuttal (which one, I

do not remember) that people who follow Ted's view believe in hormesis and

are under playing the radiation risk.  First, I do not see comments about

hormesis in the this letter, but have not seen the Science article.  Why was

this charge made?  To draw attention from the Ted's point?  Second, I agree

with Ted about the dangers and am not convinced of a hormesis effect at low

doese of radiation. Of coures the use of the "hormesis" arguement may be a

ploy to dismiss Ted's comments as unscientific.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane

Bowie, MD 20715-2024

jenday1@email.msn.com (H)

> ----------

The article below might not be identical to the one in Science, but I

believe it to be very close. This was on Radsafe earlier and I have sent

it far and wide to news media, but I don't know how to do this

successfully. The media didn't pick it up until it appeared in Science

which in turn gave the media an opportunity to sensationalize an

argument by publishing the vituperative rebuttal by Lyman and his

Nuclear Control Institute. This summary by Ted and others of the

National Engineering Academy should, I believe, have gotten wide

publicity when it was first released.

Cheers,

Maury Siskel      maury@webtexas.com

Subject: I. Summary. Nuclear Power Plant Vulnerability

   Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 23:51:20 -0500

SUMMARY I.  NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS AS TERRORIST

TARGETS

. . .