AW: Radioactive vinegar bottle ?!?!

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Jacobus, John

(OD/ORS)

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. September 2002 17:12

An: 'Richard F. Orthen'; Marty.Bourquin@GRACE.COM;

liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff: RE: Radioactive vinegar bottle ?!?!

Is the naturally occurring uranium or thorium used to make glass bottles

regulated by the NRC?

Uranium was used to color glass. In Europe it is not used any more since

long and I would be very surprised if it still would be used anywhere else,

especially since the same color can be produced easier and cheaper by other

means. Thorium was used to produce highly refractive optical glass, but

never for glass bottles. It is also used in small quantities as

anti-reflection shield for eyeglasses.

So I do not think that there is any concern about regulations.

Franz