Save the FFTF

RADSAFERs:

A dear friend sent me the message below.  Please help us save the FFTF.  It is a prime research facility as well as a medical isotope source.  Please go to the website indicated and register your protest against the shutdown.

We have been pushing to get our federal agencies to do the right
thing for all of us and to restart the Fast Flux Test Facility.  Our amazing,
beautifully performing advanced reactor is badly needed to produce isotopes
for patients with cancer or other deadly diseases, for advanced educational
opportunities, and for space applications. We've won several battles, but are
losing the war. A quick recap:

.  The Department of Energy said ten years ago that there was no "mission"
for FFTF, and they would shut it down.
.  Local companies devised a plan to operate the reactor.   DOE agreed to
keep it in stanby and investigate, but ultimately rejected the plan.
.  Arguments to DOE made the point that shutdown was not permissible without
an Environmental Impact Statement reviewing the national need for isotopes.
.  EIS findings showed that the Facility was needed to meet any growth in
demand (which was already occurring), but a Record of Decision was issued for
shutdown.  Again.
.  Virtually all technical experts agree that another facility will have to
be built in the US almost immediately to do what, at this time, only FFTF can
do.  The cost to taxpayers will be between 2 and 9 BILLION dollars, depending
on what type of facility is built and which congressional district "wins the
lottery".
.  Our local County, City, and Port district put together a consortium to ask
DOE for rights to operate this "unneeded" property.  This includes major
international corporations, but would also require the agreement of the
federal government.  And time.
.  DOE has now transferred the money and the administration of FFTF from
their Nuclear Energy division to their Environmental Management (cleanup)
division, has sent in their wrecking managers and publicly announced that
they have started the destruction of the plant.

All this makes FFTF a subject for the Tri-Party Agreement (TPA) [DOE, EPA and
the Washington State Department of Ecology] which oversees all cleanujp
activities.  The TPA was formed to keep tabs on how quickly radioactivity
from old defense reactors would be cleaned up.  Now FFTF is being lumped in
with the lot. To do so requires a change in the Tri-Party Agreement, and that
in turn requires public hearing and comment.  We have until October 14 to
either attend one of the hearings or write to protest this "TPA change
package" which expedites the destruction of the reactor at the same time a
highly viable plan to use it for benefit of humanity is still being
developed.

This doesn't take long.  Please go to
www.fftf.info
and click on the "do this first" flashing button.  If you
need or want more information, or are willing to do more, let me know.  This
is our last chance to save the plant.....the expedited schedule would have
the new management draining sodium within the next six weeks.  Then the
contractor gets a bonus at the end of the fiscal year.  Great.

The ONLY thing wrong with FFTF is that it's at Hanford.

Thanks for helping.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com