RE: Transport of a Self-Contained Irradiator

Wesley:

I mis-spoke a little in my last post, indicating the irradiator needed to be IN a 2R container.  That is pretty hard to do with an irradiator - it would take a VERY big pipe. Be advised that many irradiators are 2R containers, but the 2R container must nestle inside another specification container.  Refining my statement about "other specification" containment, typically a 20WC or 21WC specification container is used to transport the irradiator.  You can find the requirements for these in 49CFR178.362/.364.  It is no small task to build and test one of these containers.

  It has been a while since I looked at the ins and outs of the certification process, so maybe another Radsafer can tell you if you can use someone else's certification (e.g. Shepherd's) for a same design/built specification container (if you can find one closer to home). If you can both use the certification and find a container, then I advise following Ruth Weiner's post on transport companies.

Larry Grimm, Senior HP

UCLA EH&S/ Radiation Safety Division

*	lgrimm@admin.ucla.edu   Phone:310/206-0712   Fax: 310/206-9051

Cell: 310/863-5556  Pager:1-800-233-7231ext93569

*	On Campus: 501 Westwood Plaza, 4th Floor, MS 951605

*	Off Campus: UCLA Radiation Safety Div, 501 Westwood Plaza 4th

Fl, Box 951605, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1605

*	If this email is not RSD business, the opinions are mine, not

UCLA's.