RE: The FFTF

The following is being posted on behalf of a colleague.

+++++++

Ruth:

Thanks for the effort. More info. We are in direct contact with HHS as

well, but they haven't weighed in at the White House yet. Tommy Thompson

said in a letter to our US Rep. Doc Hastings that he wouldn't let anything

happen to FFTF which would threaten the nation's adequate supplies of

isotopes. This has not happened yet. We need to get HHS to weigh in at the

White House. This strategy lets Abraham off the politic hook as well. They

(DOE) did their job, their missions and now it is needed for major health

advances in the US. (Never mind that this was spelled out 50 years ago in

the Atoms for Peace Plan and the Atomic Energy Act of 1954). One HHS major

contact is Thompson's technical advisor, Dr. William Raub, who seemed quite

enthusiastic several months ago, as did several other HHS types. HHS could

be a major customer for isotope production, even at the research and

clinical trial stages. I did notice HHS contact with Al Conklin, suggesting

that they are working the issue. This is a major national health issue.

All one has to do is talk to some survivors who have received this therapy

to be moved. At this stage people in clinical trials must have failed both

chemo and whole body radiation just to get into them. Even with patients

like these 80-90% remission rates have been achieved at the UW and

elsewhere. In dismal contrast patients at UC Davis in the midst of their

recent clinical trials were sent home to die, for lack of Cu-67. Cu-67

requires a fast reactor for production.

BTW the Europeans are way ahead of the US in these technologies even though

they are strapped for isotope production as well. At this time for certain

cancers (such as gliomas) we can only recommend that Americans get to

Europe. FYI in certain kinds of cancer such as liver cancer and

neuroendocrine cancer the survivor rates are essentially zero. Doomed. These

increase to 80-90% survivor rates with nuclear techniques (cell-targeted

therapies or implants). Europeans doctors are advising against chemo since

its effective in only 10-20% of the patients. Many American oncologists

are not even aware of this progress, let alone bureaucrats and the general

public. Feel free to put this into Radsafe.

Best Wishes

Mike Fox

09-25-02