RE: Peter Parsons in Biogerontology

Jim,

Actually, I read a lot of diverse material, not just what I find by surfing

the internet looking for material that supports my political viewpoint.  I

am a believer in a liberal education in the true essence of the term, since

it allows me to reflect on issues in science, politics and society from

different perspectives.  That is why I question some of the conclusions that

you draw because I do not have the narrow focus you do.  I bet the authors

would not draw the same conclusions you do.

For example, I just finished two books on great feuds in medicine and

science.  One idea that impressed me is that some of the conflicts actually

lead to new research agendas.  That is why I find your political agenda in

promoting hormesis as important.  I think the discoveries and studies are of

interest, as they demonstrate the broad spectrum of responses that can be

observed at the molecular, cellular, and, in some cases, animal levels.

However, I do not believe it can be clearly demonstrated in human

populations due to so many confounding factors.  (Howard, please do not

respond with the double-blind study that John Cameron proposes.  I have

already heard about it.)  I do believe that we can show the risks are small

at low dose levels (<100 mSv/y).  I certainly do not think hormesis should

be used in establishing safety limits if all members of a population do not

exhibit it.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist