miniSPEC GR-130 and fieldSPEC hand-held spectrometers

Colleagues

I am trying to find out which of the two instruments would be better suited to

identify contamination from unknown radioisotopes in a public emergency  (like a

"dirty bomb" incident scenario).  On the face value (comparison of manufacturer

specifications) both look OK to me, but the proof is always in the pudding.

Exploranium's miniSPEC GR-130 has been on the market for few years now, and

opinions about it which I have encountered so-far (including a couple on the

Radsafe Archives) have been generally positive. But I have not yet found  user's

(as opposed to manufacturer's ) opinions regarding the fieldSPEC unit, which is

a relative newcomer to the market.  (Incidentally, I am confused as to who is

its  manufacturer; Target? Bicron ? else ?)

Is there someone who has got practical experience with both  meters and would

have formed an opinion as to their comparative strengths and weaknesses ?

Failing that, is there someone who has been using fieldSPEC and would like to

share their experiences ?

Thank you in advance.

George Koperski

Manager Radiation Health

Department of Health & Community Services

Darwin, NT, Australia

george.koperski@nt.gov.au