Re: radiation exposue at st lucie

Dear Richard,

You wrote:

"Forwarding popular press articles to a technical list is of limited utility

in my opinion. Press articles with mis- and dis- information, especially

when the most egregious of these are aggregated, are a major cause of some

of the unwarranted fears we have of nuclear technology."

I don't agree, many who is part of this list is also devoted to

communication on nuclear event issues. This is my case, for instance. I have

learned a lot with nuclear news all of the world, this include American

press and also anti-nuke or green parties  information.

About press communication, does not matter the topic, for instance the one

related with this subject at

http://www.gopbi.com/partners/pbpost/epaper/editions/saturday/martin_stlucie

_d37a0a3c2727b03e0043.html

or the one, always repetitive,  Cancer risk for radiation workers, BBC, at

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2317269.stm

What individuals, organizations, associations should do is to answer some of

them, explaining the real facts,

Doesn't matter if they will publish or not,  in a type of section dedicated

to readers, they in high percentage always do it.

A purpose of Communication issue, the last IAEA document published on this

matter was "Communication Planning by the Nuclear Regulatory Body", IAEA

Safety Reports Series n.24 and to those interested,  the document is

available to can download at

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub1135_scr.pdf

I worked in this document as IAEA consultant and I would like some opinions

about.

One important lesson learned is dealing with the press, or even in public

dialogue, "there is no difficulty to ask questions, difficulty is the

ability to answer the questions".

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel

Thursday, 10 October, 2002, 15:59 GMT 16:59 UK