Re: 31 workers over-exposed in Montana!!!

The antis are not against the use of sources in medical, industry and

research.

The antis, they family, also can need  Nuclear Medicine Assistance, and they

know. They know as well the importance of use of sources in industry

control, as gauges, radiography, etc - So we have to take care when

extrapolating situations.

Control of radioactive sources is a question of major concern at

International Organization, as IAEA, and National, as USA and many others.

However there are many developing countries with weak infrastructure in

radiological protection where the situation is very difficult in terms of

protection and control.

Look these papers on the subject:

1 - "The BSS Preamble indicates that the standards are based on the

presumption that governments have proper legislation and regulations in

place to deal with problems of the safety of radioactive sources and the

security of radioactive materials, It is not true, for example, that all

countries had proper legislation on radiation safety and security. It is not

true that all countries have proper regulations in place. It is not true

that in most countries there are independent regulatory authorities invested

with the necessary powers to perform the work required of them. And,

finally, it is not true that when a regulatory authority exists it always

has the necessary resources at its disposal. - In summary, more than 110

States may have no minimum infrastructure to properly of the BSS in

non-Member States, although only with extra budgetary resources."

Ref - TIMELY ACTION - STRENGTHENING THE SAFETY OF RADIATION SOURCES & THE

SECURITY OF RADIOACTIVE MATERIALS, BY ABEL J.GONZALEZ, IAEA BULLETIN,

41/3/1999

2 - "Based on data received by the NRC, approximately 375 sources or devices

of varying risk have been reported lost or stolen per year in the U.S.

Although the number of reported lost devices has decreased over recent years

(NRC data indicates that 286 reports were received in 1999), the NRC has

become increasingly concerned about occurrences where generally-licensed

devices have not been handled or disposed of properly because of the

potential for public exposure or contamination of property. Some

generally-licensed devices have been accidentally melted in steel mills

causing contamination of the mill, the steel product, and the wastes from

the process (i.e., the slag and the baghouse dust). Although only a few

exposures have exceeded

the public dose limits, there may be a future potential for exposures

involving the general public."

Ref - AN OVERVIEW OF MANAGING THE U.S. RADIATION PROTECTION

PROGRAM CONCERNING GENERALLY-LICENSED SOURCES AND DEVICES

Commissioner Greta Joy Dicus - U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission

Presentation at the 10th Annual International Radiation Protection

Association Conference

May 15, 2000, Hiroshima, Japan

----------

Relatively small radiation risk is imposed  when the container is not

damaged or violeted, however  when this have happen , were  cause of major

accidents, with public fatalities consequences examples:

1981 Oklahoma, USA Industrial Radiography

1984 Morocco Lost of source Ir-192 30 Ci

1987 Goiania, Brazil Teletherapy abandoned device

1992 Xinzhou, China Lost of Co-60 source

1994 Tammiku, Estonia Abandoned Scrap Cs137

2000 Thailand Lost Co-60 (420 Ci)

2000 Egypt Lost Ir-192 (20 Ci)

IAEA have published many of such events due lost of sources that gave rise

to fatalities or over exposure, examples

The radiological accident in Goiania, 1987

The radiological accident in Tammiku, 1998

The radiological accident in Yanango, 2000

The radiological accident in Lilo, 2000

IAEA has also published a text with a selection of examples (43) when

sources have been mishandled or where they have inadvertly como into the

possession of members of the public.

Safery Report Series 7 - Lessons Learned from accidents in Industrial

Radiography, IAEA 1998.

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel