Doses should be in terms of time to get the same dose frombackground

Richard Hess wrote regarding the St Lucie incident that the dose

should have been explained  as:  "More radiation is received in 2-3

transcontinental flights!"

Since most people don't take transcontinental flights, it would have

been even better to state that the dose was about equal to the

natural radiation to the body in one day. I call this method of

explaining radiation "Background Equivalent Radiation Time" or BERT.

It is described in http://medinfo.ufl.edu/other/cameron/rads.html.  I

am  happy to see that the web page for the RSNA and ACR at

http://www.radiologyinfo.org  is using this method to explain doses

from x-ray and nuclear medicine studies.

	This and similar information about radiation  is described in

the Virtual Radiation Museum at

http://www.medphysics.wisc.edu/~vrm/HOME.htm. It is very much a work

in  progress.  I hope that many members of radsafe will contribute to

the usefulness of the VRM. If you have suggestions send them to me at

jrcamero@wisc.edu.  I have a part time grad student at the U. of

Wisconsin working on the VRM. Best wishes,  John

PS I will be in China from Oct. 22 to Nov. 6 and will not be

receiving e-mail then.

--

John R. Cameron (jrcamero@wisc.edu)

2678 SW 14th Dr. Gainesville, FL 32608