Re: Glass-Based Radon Measurements (fwd)

Dr. Long,

The glass-based radon measurement technigue was not

originated by Dr. Becker.

Please read these papers and enclosed references.

Steck DJ, Alavanja MC, Field RW, Parkhurst MA, Bates DJ,

Mahaffey JA. 210Po implanted in glass surfaces by long

term exposure to indoor radon. Health Physics. 83(2):

261-71, Aug 2002

Steck, D,J. J.A. Berglund, J.A., and Field, R.W.. 210Po

Implanted in Glass Surfaces: Calibration and Improved

Performance for Retrospective Radon Gas and Radon

Progeny Reconstruction. Proceedings of the Natural

Radiation Environment (NRE-VII). Rhodes, Greece, 2002

Field RW, Steck DJ, Parkhurst MA, Mahaffey JA, Alavanja

MC. Intercomparison of retrospective radon detectors.

Environmental Health Perspectives. 107(11): 905-10, Nov

1999

Cornelis J., Landsheere C., Van Trier A., Vanmarke, H.,

and Poffin A. (1992). Experiments on glass-adsorbed

Polonium-210. Appl. Rad. Inst. 43, 127-138.

Lively, R.S. and Steck, D.J. (1993) Long-term radon

concentrations estimated from 210Po embedded in glass.

Health Phys. 64, 485-490.

Mahaffey, J. A., Parkhurst, M.A., James, A.C., Cross,

F.T., Alvanja, M.C.R., Boice, J.D., Ezrine, S.,

Henderson, P., and Brownson, R.C. (1993) Estimating past

exposure to indoor radon from household glass. Health

Phys. 64, 381-391.

Samuelsson C. (1988) Retrospective determination of

radon in houses. Nature 334, 338-340.

Steck, D.J., Field, R.W., Brus, C.P., and Allnutt, K.A

(1993).  Embedded surface radioactivity, radon, and

radon progeny in domestic atmospheres. Proc. of the

Sixth International Conference on Indoor Air Quality and

Climate, Helsinki, 1993

Health Phys 2001 Aug;81(2):110-3 Uncertainties in

retrospective radon exposure of glass: possible effects

of hydration and of leaching.  Fleischer RL, Doremus RH.

Radiat Prot Dosimetry 2001;97(3):251-8 Personal radon

dosimetry from eyeglass lenses. Fleischer RL, Meyer NR,

Hadley SA, MacDonald J,  Cavallo A. Department of

Geology, Union College, Schenectady, NY 12308, USA.

Science 1972 Oct 20;178(58):255-63

Particle track etching. Fleischer RL, Alter HW, Furman

SC, Price PB, Walker RM.