From: Michael G. Stabin [mailto:michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu]
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 8:40 AM
To: RuthWeiner@aol.com; radsafe
Subject: Re: more st lucie workers exposed

>Well, let's push it out of the folklore bed!!  I can remember, old curmudgeonette that I am, when "folklore" had it that pregnant women couldn't be K-12 teachers when their pregnancies "showed", that mothers of young children shouldn't work outside the home lest their children's lives be ruined, that smoking cigarettes was good for you, that tuberculosis was caused by having an artistic temperament, and so on.  Isn't this what we have education for? To get rid of myths like these?

Bravo, Ruth, yes, of course. This is the responsibility of teachers, and, really, of any professionals who know the facts and can clearly see when the "folklore" is wrong and potentially dangerous. I believe that the current folklore is potentially dangerous because it is causing massive resources to be spent on trivial risks, leaving more serious risks not attended to. To not speak against that is to shun one's responsibility as a professional. We should speak on the list, in our newspapers, in public forums, in our public schools, to our legislators, and so on, until it becomes abandoned like the foolish folklore that you mention here.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068