RE: NY Times - nuke guards swamped by overtime

Norm;

I've been fairly quite so far, and I value your perspective. But you have

GOT to be kidding me on this one.

How can you possibly believe that Federalizing nuke plant guards will

improve professionalism? What is the federal government's well-spring for

this wonderful "professionalism", and how can I buy some?

I cannot think of a single federal agency that does ANYTHING better than

private industry can (I might accept the military, being x-Navy myself, but

one might imagine what alot of cash and little overhead might

accomplish...). I have worked at several nuke plants, and the guards that I

encountered were quite good.

Last of all, what does working alot of overtime have to do with

professionalism anyhow?

Overtime is part of the (generally) self-regulating business cycle. When

guards don't want to work so much overtime, they will quit. When the plants

can't keep enough guards happy, they will have to ask WHY? When they realize

that the overtime is causing the turnover in guards, they will have to

address the problem and hire more guards (working less hours) to keep

everyone happy. This cycle occurs naturally, and on a regular basis.

I respectfully disagree on this one. (& my private rambling, of course)

Regards,

Harry Anagnostopoulos, CHP

Senior Health Physicist

SAIC