Re: NY Times - nuke guards swamped by overtime

level of

professionalism to this important job<<<<

And this "better level of professionalism" would be defined as ..... what,

Norm?

What is it that your group wants to see?  These people probably already

exceed what your expectations are, except you would probably never admit

it, because you won't dare say anything good about this industry.

You actually believe that the majority of the nuclear security officers

(and I purposely DON'T call them "guards") are performing at the same level

of a parking lot security guard, or a bank security guard?

The security officers that I have had contact with over my 20 some years in

this industry are extremely professional and highly trained.  This is

serious stuff, and it was serious stuff BEFORE 9/11.  I feel VERY safe

where I work.  There won't be any snipers shooting anyone in this parking

lot.  They couldn't get near the place.

I doubt Senator Clinton has done her homework in this area, and gets her

information from the same place you do - the media.   And we all know how

reliable their information is.  Like you said yesterday Norm, the media

does your job for you.

Julie Shafer

                      "Norman Cohen"

                      <ncohen12@comcast.net>        To:

                      Sent by:                      cc:       Michael.Kent@nmcco.com,

                      owner-radsafe@list.van         radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

                      derbilt.edu                   Subject:  Re: NY Times - nuke guards swamped by overtime

                      10/23/2002 01:11 PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Norman Cohen"

GUys,

All the NY times article does is to raise a concern about too much overtime

for

nuke guards. This is one of the reasons why

we (unplug) supports Federalizing nuke plant guards, to bring a better

level of

professionalism to this important job, especially in the post-911 climate

we all

find ourselves in.

Norm

Jack_Earley@RL.GOV wrote:

> Many of us on this project worked 12 hours per day or more, often six

days a

> week instead of five, for the first six or seven months of this year, and

> we're now working 52 hours per week minimum. I don't recall anyone

"losing