Article: U.N. Faces Tough Sell on Chornobyl Research

This link was sent to me and I thought I would send it along.  I always

spelled it Chernobyl.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane

Bowie, MD  20715-2024

E-mail:  jenday1@email.msn.com (H)

----------------------------

LOW-DOSE RADIATION:

U.N. Faces Tough Sell on Chornobyl Research

Paul Webster*

MOSCOW--The United Nations is mounting a last-ditch effort to reinvigorate

flagging interest in the long-term health consequences of the Chornobyl

disaster. At a meeting of U.N. agencies in New York City earlier this week,

the U.N.'s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)

established a new organization, the International Chernobyl Research

Network, to mount a coordinated research program on the lingering impacts of

the world's most serious nuclear reactor accident. A concerted scientific

effort is necessary, it argues, "if the evidence is not to be lost forever."

Prospects for the new initiative are unclear, however. OCHA itself has no

money to launch new research projects, and expert opinion is split on the

network's scientific potential.

. . .

 http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/298/5594/725a