From: Jacobus, John (NIH/OD/ORS) [mailto:jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov]
Sent: Friday October 25, 2002 2:13 PM
To: 'RadSafe'
Subject: Article: U.N. Faces Tough Sell on Chornobyl Research

This link was sent to me and I thought I would send it along.  I always
spelled it Chernobyl.
-- John

John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
3050 Traymore Lane
Bowie, MD  20715-2024

E-mail:  jenday1@email.msn.com (H)
----------------------------
LOW-DOSE RADIATION:
U.N. Faces Tough Sell on Chornobyl Research
Paul Webster*

MOSCOW--The United Nations is mounting a last-ditch effort to reinvigorate
flagging interest in the long-term health consequences of the Chornobyl
disaster. At a meeting of U.N. agencies in New York City earlier this week,
the U.N.'s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
established a new organization, the International Chernobyl Research
Network, to mount a coordinated research program on the lingering impacts of
the world's most serious nuclear reactor accident. A concerted scientific
effort is necessary, it argues, "if the evidence is not to be lost forever."
Prospects for the new initiative are unclear, however. OCHA itself has no
money to launch new research projects, and expert opinion is split on the
network's scientific potential.

. . .

 http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/298/5594/725a