Re: Federalizing a guard force

Three  comments:

1.  The airport security here in Albuquerque was federalized about a month ago,  I travel out of this airport often, and I cannot overemphasize how much better, more thorough, more efficient, and more pleasant and courteous all of the employees of the new system appear to be than those of the old "rent-a-cop" system.  They are clearly better paid and better trained.  Moreover, many are genuinely fluent in both English and Spanish.

2.  The security force at Sandia Labs is hard-working, competent and courteous.  Base security ir the responsibility of the Air Force and they are also competent and courteous.

3.  I have worked many, many 12-hour days and 60-hour weeks, with either no overtime pay or no pay at all.  If the job requires it, that's what you do.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com