Re: Low dose stimulation produces immunity to cancer

on 10/26/02 1:19 AM, Bjorn Cedervall at bcradsafers@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:

>> J. B. Murphy (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences), studying

>> cancer immunity and the role of lymphocytes, reports that both natural and

>> induced immunity controls and destroys cancers in mice (specific cancers in

>> a specific strain), and that lymphocytes target and destroy those tumors.

>> He shows this by using the property of small doses of x-rays to suppress

>> lymphocytes. As lymphocytes are suppressed, the tumors are increasingly

>> able to become established and to grow rapidly.

> But, he reports that their finding that at even lower doses the lymphocytes

> are NOT suppressed, but stimulated!

> ---

> Referring to the last sentence - what exactly is meant by stimulation?

Bjorn,

Two factors:

First, an simple increase in the number of lymphocytes per mL;

Second, a faster and more successful attack on the induced tumor (or

infection).

Did you retrieve the paper? It's just 4 pages. There are a few other papers

from the period there also that are more definitive and descriptive on

immune response to cancer.

Thanks,

Regards, Jim