RE: BBC NEWS | Africa | Famine-hit Zambia rejects GM food aid

There's a bit more to the story that I recall when this first hit. I didn't

look at this particular report.

Zambia sells food to the EC.

The EC has placed a ban on GM foods.

Zambia is concerned that the GM food aid might "taint" their ability to

sell to the EC in the future.

What's the mantra...follow the money <sigh>.

Cheers,

Richard

At 01:02 PM 10/29/2002 -0800, Jack_Earley@RL.GOV wrote:

>Let's see. As I recall, there are about 1.2M orphans in Zambia due to AIDS.

>So risky activities are okay if they're known to result in injury, but GM

>food is not okay, because they think it might somehow result in injury.

>Somethin' wrong with this picture.

>Jack Earley

>Radiological Engineer

Richard L. Hess                              richard@richardhess.com

Glendale, CA USA                           http://www.richardhess.com/

Web page: folk and church music, photography, and

                  broadcast engineering