RE: Re: " we're evolved for radiation " - geophysicist on pole reversals

The shielding that the earth gets from cosmogenic radiation is actually

from solar radiation itself.  During the period of solar maximum activity

the cosmic radiation levels will go down and go up during solar

minimum.  Thus the farther out you get in the solar system the greater the

level of cosmic radiation, which is why it is difficult to shield outer

solar system exploration craft.

Granted, this was a very simplistic explanation but there is a good deal of

information out there if you are interested.  Try looking up papers but

John Wilson of NASA Langley Research Center or try finding "NASA Conference

Publication 3360, Shielding strategies for Human Space Exploration".  I

have no idea if it is available on line.

At 11:11 PM 11/4/02, Jacobus, John (NIH/OD/ORS) wrote:

>Jim,

>The magnetic fields shield the earth for the electron and protrons that are

>ejected from the sun.  However, they do not protect us from the high energy

>cosmic radiation that penetrates into the atmosphere.  (It is one of those

>physics things.)  What plain physics fact were you talking about?

>When I get a chance, I will crack open my old file of cosmic radiation

>studies that I started to collect 10 years ago.

>-- John

>John Jacobus, MS

>Certified Health Physicist

>3050 Traymore Lane