RE: Re: " we're evolved for radiation " - geophysicist on pole re vers als

Greetings

Near the top of the atmosphere the earth's magnetic field modifies the

incoming cosmic ray distribution significantly (by the way there are very

few primary electrons from either the sun or the galaxy! Most of the

elctrons at satellite altitudes are electrons from interactions in the

atmosphere and then trapped in the dipole field in a way simiar to that in

fusion reactors).  As was said, closer to the magnetic poles of the earth

the primaries can stream in along the filed lines. Closer to the equator

the field reflects them back away from the earth. The upper energy for

this sort of effect is 1-2 GeV for protons.  So there is an effect

everywhere of the earth's magnetic field on galactic cosmic radiation.

The effect is much more marked for solar flares which mainly give protons

of less than several 100 MeV.

At ground level you have to remember you are sitting behind a good shield

called our atmosphere which is equivalent to about 4 metres of concrete,

and this is a fairly efficient field for lower energy protons. So this

reduces variations due to the earth's magnetic field.

This is meant to be very simple-minded introduction.  Better people have

written better explanations, but I felt unable to keep out of this one.

Graham

| Graham R. Stevenson,         | Email: Graham.Stevenson@cern.ch |

| Radiation Protection Group,  | Tel:   +41 22 767 4623          |

| CERN, 1211 Geneva 23,        | Fax:   +41 22 767 5700          |

| Switzerland.                 |                                 |