Re: Electrosensitivity and potential charge of a cat

>>I think the capacitance is more like 10-20 pF (pico-farads, not

>>nano-farads).

---

>I will call the prof. again and check. I am definitely not the person to

>ask and may be the cause due to bad memory - a factor of 1/1000 - must get

>that one right.

OK - I had a second talk with my Swedish physics friend (Hans Wiksell - he

approved to me mentioning his name). Asked him about the capacitance - he

gave it about 1 nF - and assumes as a first approximation that the

resistance in the cat is zero (which Hans points out that it is not).

I then asked more about that and he commented by saying that electric

properties of materials belong to his area of expertise - but adding that of

course actual measurements would be the appropriate action. As some of this

so far is more of theoretical considerations rather than actual data

measurements it seems wise at this moment to focus on the character of the

calculations rather than assuming data speculations as truths. Here is an

abbreviated translation of what Hans also, as a clarification, emailed me.

Energy during the discharge (voltage = 10 kV): 1/2UUC = 0.05 Ws = 0.05 J

The frequency at which the discharge occurs is very dependent of C and the

inductance L (Henry). Assuming L = 500 microhenry (which may be too high)

one gets 0.22 MHz. ( f = 1/(2 pi SQR(LC)))

This corresponds to a discharge time of about 1/MHz or 0.000 005 s. Divide

the energy by the time => 11 kW as peak power (but only during a very short

time).

Hans says that in an actual situation, there will be a damped (attenuating)

oscillatory discharge that exists for a much longer time - the peak power

will therefore be lower but certainly still quite high. That discharge at

0.22 MHz should easily be picked up by a nearby AM radio receiver.

Hans suggests a simulation with 0.9 % NaCl (saline) in a metal container

placed on a cat fur (Hans' cats do not want to participate in any

experiments he explains) a capacitor that can take at least 30 kV and a few

other gadgets. Hans points out that if you hold the cat in a paw you cannot

charge it.

Please comment with whatever additional experiences, considerations or

corrections that you may have.

My personal comments only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com