RE: Radiation-Proof Uniform?

>From http://www.compositesnews.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=1572

NEW RADIATION PROTECTION OFFERED AGAINST TERRORISM

September 12, 2002 - Radiation Shield Technologies announces Demron, the

first ionizing/nuclear radiation blocking fabric.

Radiation Shield Technologies (RST) of Miami, Florida has unveiled the

world's first ionizing/nuclear radiation blocking garment - Demron(TM). This

debut will take place at the inaugural Homeland Security Summit to be held

September 17-20, 2002 in Atlanta, Georgia.

Demron is described by RST as a revolutionary lightweight, non-toxic and

lead-free

radiation protection fabric. At approximately one-eighth the weight of

older,

traditional leaded garments, Demron provides comparable radiation blocking

power to that of standard Lead vest material. Fused between two outer layers

of fabric, Demron can be manufactured into any garment pattern such as

full-body suits that can effectively shield the human body from ionizing

radiation. The fabric's lightweight design leaves its wearer unencumbered

and fully mobile while giving them the ability to work in or escape from

radiation exposed areas.

Developed by world-renowned surgeon Dr. Ronald F. DeMeo of Miami, FL, Demron

originally was created to protect medical professionals from the harmful

effects of X-Ray radiation in the operating room. "I've worked around

radiation my entire career, and I have seen what it can do to the human

body, even at low levels. Demron was my way to better protect myself in the

O.R., and bring something better to the people who work around radiation

every day." Dr. DeMeo developed Demron as a way to finally shed light on the

archaic field of radiation protection. "Until now, we've simply ignored the

threat of radiation because there was nothing that could be done. Lead has

been the standard for over 50 years; a toxic, heavy, impractical standard to

say the least."

Using a patented nano-technology, Demron easily can be manufactured for use

in a wide-range of applications such as the production of blankets and tents

for protective use by individuals during any radiological emergency. [e.g.,

a dirty bomb. We were not advised of actual relative radiation resistance

data of the Demron fabric versus conventional leaded fabrics.]

Full-body coveralls made of Demron will be made available to the general

public as of September 17, 2002.

Contact:

Radiation Shield Technologies, Inc.

Drew E. Lauter