RE: DU talk

<< What is startling me is the thought that there would be no US to confront

a North-American USSR... Please prove me wrong, that's really a scaring

thought...>>

Maybe it's like the self-censorship you were talking about--we generally

manage to police ourselves pretty well. And I really doubt that either

Canada or Mexico are concerned about our invading them. Hey--we even gave up

control of the Panama Canal. But as for assurances--I think there's ample

worldwide evidence that they're only as valid as the people and

circumstances behind them, and it's not really in our best interest to go

around telling people that we're not going to respond to provocations. I'm

sure Hussein assumed no one would do anything more than bluster when he

invaded Kuwait, and I assume Bin Laden thought he was safe from reprisals.

I've noticed that the more patient and restrained you are, the more some

people try to provoke you for their own purposes. As a result, it pays to

have a zero-tolerance policy towards abuse of any kind.

Obviously, my own random thoughts.

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer