RE: another paper on DU

Norm,

Did you read this prior to posting?  (I think it is important to look at

what you post.)  It appears to me to be a collection of references that deal

with DU, international law and health effect claims.  I must say that I

admire the author's ability to collect 116 references.  However, because it

is such a mish-mosh of arguements that are more anti-warfare, the fact that

no harmful effects have been seen is lost.  It that regard, there is no new

information here.

A telling sentence is "The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence of

those effects, however, but merely a sign of the lack of scientifically

rigorous investigations of the health of soldiers and civilians exposed to

depleted uranium."   From what I get is that there has not been enough

research done on US soldiers.  Of course, the conclusions of studies done by

other countries and scientific groups are not while mentioned.  I think one

item in the conclusion says it all:

"At this point in time there is a lack of hard evidence to determine

conclusively whether depleted uranium causes health and environmental

effects sufficient to violate rules of international humanitarian law.  The

absence of scientifically rigorous investigations of the effects of depleted

uranium is a lacuna so large and readily apparent that it demands redress if

the debate over depleted uranium's effects is ever to be settled."

I looked at the credentials of the author.  "Dan Fahey has investigated

depleted uranium munitions since 1994, currently independently and

previously on behalf of Swords to Plowshares Veterans' Rights Organization,

the National Gulf War Resource Center, and the Military Toxics Project.  He

is currently a student at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts

University in the United States."

They all sound like advocacy groups, except for Tufts University.  I bet he

is a lawyer.  I think the list of participants at this meeting is also very

telling.

-- John

John P. Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist