Re: DU Story

From: "Norman Cohen" <ncohen12@comcast.net>

> And no way are we a cult. I know about cults, and saying that peace

activists

> are 'cultish' is an insult to 100s of thousands of well meaning American

> citizens who are Peace Action members, as well as Quakers and other peace

> loving people. ...

I don't think that being "cultish" and being "well meaning" are

contradictions. What is your definition of being cultish? Mine would be that

one is so involved in a belief system that reasonable thought is rejected

when it conflicts with one's belief system. In my experience, this describes

a lot of the (not all) hard core anti nukes, as well as some (not most) pro

nukes.

I think placing a lot of emphasis in motivation (being "well meaning") makes

one more susceptible to cults than placing the emphasis on results or

rational calculations. Most people on this list probably like peace more

than they like war. It is just a matter of how best to achieve it and how to

avoid a really big war.

Kai

http://www.eic.nu

http://www.gammawatch.com/