Security Screening Technique

This is in regards to the subject of people emitting radiation and the efforts of security forces to determine if they represent a threat.

We should come up with a reasonable screening technique using simple monitors already available. I suggested: If the radiation can be shown to be coming from the thyroid or distributed through the body, wouldn't that be enough to show that this is not a case of a terrorist intending to scatter a radiation source? The objection was that someone could and would really do this. Okay, let's add a dose rate limit to the screening. I think that the result would be less wasted time of security personnel and the people being screened.

Other contributors suggested that gamma spec would be helpful. Even if this were practical from the standpoint of instrument availability, it would be unnecessarily complex.

For example, let's say we're expecting a Tc-99m, I-131 or Tl-201. Instead we find Cs-137? If the dose rate is consistent with nuclear medicine, is there a credible scenario where this represents a terrorist threat?

To me, a credible scenario would require the effort to acquire the material and plan to 'distribute' it would be balanced with the threat. Maybe I'm missing something, but in cases where someone is going to blow himself up, I think I would be more concerned with bloodborne pathogens. I'd appreciate having the blood tagged with some radionuclide so it can be cleaned up more effectively.

The focus here should be to find a very simple screening technique to give to security personnel.

The previous thread erred into subtopics only a tech weenie would love. Yeah, sure, I'd like a cool Dick Tracy gamma spec. watch, too. But the public doesn't care to be impressed with making this difficult. Let's be credible.

(The previous thread is referenced below.)

----- Forwarded by Mark Hogue/WSRC/Srs on 12/05/02 06:41 AM -----
mark.hogue@srs.gov
Sent by: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

12/04/02 03:18 PM