Re: Security Screening Technique

You seem to be making 2 assumptions which may not be valid:

1.  ASSUMPTION:  Security personnel are looking only for terrorists. REALITY:  In addition to identifying potential terrorists, security personnel would also want to identify victims of an erstwhile unknown radiological incident, or triage potential victims of a known incident.  These victims may have the same radiological profile as nuclear medicine patients.

2.  ASSUMPTION:  The radioactive material of interest would create a high level  radiation field.  REALITY:  Many dangerous radioactive materials would not create a high level radiation field, for example, Pu-239.  Thus, even a low level radiation field could indicate a problem.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

mark.hogue@SRS.GOV wrote:

This is in regards to the subject of people emitting radiation and the efforts of security forces to determine if they represent a threat.

... I suggested: If the radiation can be shown to be coming from the thyroid or distributed through the body, wouldn't that be enough to show that this is not a case of a terrorist intending to scatter a radiation source? ... Okay, let's add a dose rate limit to the screening. ...

Mark G. Hogue, CHP
mark.hogue@srs.gov
"But we surely overrate the usefulness of what we like to call "stimulation" and underrate the need for time, peace of mind, mature reflection." -  Susan Haack

"DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily represent Westinghouse Savannah River Co. or the United States Department of Energy."