Re: AW: AW: Food Irradiation Alert - Sierra Club of Canada

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Franz Schoenhofer wrote:

>             I clearly oppose  it, when it comes to "extended shelf live".

> This is an argument, which is in sharp contrast with the world wide opinion

> that food should be as fresh as possible. If Americans accept that foods

> shelf life is extended by radiation - please do it. Nobody in Europe will

> accept it - simply because there is no need for it. We have excellent ways

> to ship oysters, fish, crabs, etc.  to any destination within Europe. The

> price is accordingly. If you do not want to pay the price for fresh

> oysters - leave it and eat a McDonalds hamburger instead - in Europe this

> would be a kind of insunuaion.

>             Food irradiation is ok, if it helps peoples to escape famine. It

> is a crime, if it is intended to maximise profits of world wide acting

> companies.

	--A large fraction of the food in poor countries like India is

lost duue to spoilage; extending shelf life thus avoids famine and

starvation.

	--Americans and Europeans get very little tropical fruit because

of spoilage in transit. Irradiation to extend shelf life would solve this

problem.

	--Fishing boats could remain at sea much longer if they would

avoid spoilage of their catch by irradiation.