RE: transport radioactive instruments

U.S. DOT did away with the 100 mile/2 hour check a couple of months ago. Now they have check at each stop.
-----Original Message-----
From: RuthWeiner@AOL.COM [mailto:RuthWeiner@AOL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 09:26
To: srebro@BGUMAIL.BGU.AC.IL; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: transport radiactive instruments

In a message dated 12/11/02 5:04:44 AM Mountain Standard Time, srebro@BGUMAIL.BGU.AC.IL writes:

). Do you need to have a radiation detector in every car according to the regulation in USA and Europe???

Not in the U. S., to my knowledge.  The regulations specify packaging and external radiation dose, and of course the external radiation dose must be measured to ensure that it is within regulatory bouds, but to the best of my knowledge, onboard detectors are not required, in trucks, at any rate.  In addition, the crew is shielded sufficiently so that an onboard detector in a crew cab wouldn't be very effective.

Spent fuel truck shipments require a "walkaround" inspection every 100 miles, to look for mechanical defects.  Inspections at state borders do include measurement of external radiation.

Ruth
Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com