Chairman Meserve to leave NRC in the spring

Chairman Meserve to leave NRC in the spring

    Richard Meserve, NRC chairman for more than three years, said today that he

has accepted the presidency of the

Carnegie Institution in Washington, D.C., effective in the spring.  Meserve said

he would remain at the NRC through March

2003 to direct an orderly leadership transition.  His term of office was to have

expired June 30, 2004.  He joined the NRC

in October 1999.

    Meserve said the decision was a difficult one but the opportunity to lead

the Carnegie Institution "is an opportunity that I

cannot decline."  Meserve has been a member of the Carnegie Institution board

for 10 years.  The institution is involved  in

scientific research in a wide variety of areas ranging from genetics and

high-pressure physics, to plant biology and

large-scale structure of the universe.

    "I have very much enjoyed my service at the NRC, including in particular the

opportunity to work with all of you," he said

to the NRC staff this morning as he announced his decision.

    In his announcement to the NRC staff, Meserve listed a number of highlights

that were accomplished in recent years.

Among them were "responding effectively to the terrorists' challenge to our

national security," "preparing for the next

generation of nuclear reactors," "facilitating the continued contribution of

safe nuclear power to meet our nation's energy

needs," and "putting into place the framework to deal with an application for a

license to dispose of high-level waste at

Yucca Mountain."